ThingLink's accessibility player is a special viewing mode for all ThingLink images and videos designed to better meet WCAG web accessibility standards.
This article covers:
- How it works
- How to access and share the web accessibility player
- How to change the tag sequence (tag order)
- Notes & Limitations
How it works
The accessibility player is a separate special page that shows the transcript and content of all tags in plain view with a special widget that allows the viewer to change the page appearance and use the built-in screenreader:
You can check out a sample page here. Follow the 'Move to next scene' links in the first three tags to see other pages with more content.
How to access the web accessibility player
Get a direct link to the accessibility player
Open the scene you'd like to share then click the 'Share' button, select 'Accessibility' and copy the URL:
Show a link to the accessibility player next to the embedded ThingLink
Open the scene you'd like to share then click the 'Share' button and open the 'Embed code' tab. Check the 'Include web accessibility link' box, copy the code and insert it into your webpage. The embed will be followed by a link to the web accessibility player like this:
You can customize the text of the link or extract the URL if you'd like to use it separately.
Show the accessibility player button as part of your content
You can display a special accessibility button in the bottom-right corner of your scene. To do so, edit your scene, then go to Settings and click the accessibility icon in the left-side panel to toggle the button on or off:
The viewer can then click the button to open the scene in the accessibility player.
Change the tag sequence (tag order)
By default, the tags are shown in the order they were added to the scene, with the oldest tags shown first. You can change the tag sequence via the Settings tab inside the media editor:
- Edit your ThingLink scene
- Go to settings
- Scroll down and select Tag sequence
- You will see the list of all tags added to the scene, with icons and tag titles. Drag and drop the tags to change the order in which the tags are displayed in the accessibility player:
Notes & Limitations
- The alt text for the main media uses the scene title.
- Poll tags are not shown in the accessibility player at the moment.
- The 'Conditional transition' feature for transit tags is not supported. Viewers will be able to navigate to the next scene without answering the question.
If you'd like to submit any feedback regarding the accessibility player, please contact us here.