In this article, you'll learn how to set up and use LTI 1.1 and LTI 1.3 integrations with Canvas.
- What's the difference between LTI 1.1 and LTI 1.3?
- How to set up the LTI 1.1 tool
- How to set up the LTI 1.3 tool
- How to use the LTI 1.3 tool
- LTI 1.3: Accepting scenario scores as grades in Canvas
Note that you must be an admin on both Canvas and ThingLink to set up the integrations.
You can embed your ThingLinks in Canvas without the LTI integrations. See this article for more details
What's the difference between LTI 1.1 and LTI 1.3?
LTI 1.1 allows your users to sign into their ThingLink accounts by simply clicking a button in your LMS. See this article for more information on what data the integration uses.
LTI 1.3 allows you to pick a piece of content from your account and embed it without having to use the embed code. However, note that it will automatically create a ThingLink account for any viewer. See this article for more info on the integration.
How to set up the LTI 1.1 tool in Canvas
- Log in to your ThingLink account, go to the Organization page, then select the 'Integrations' tab and scroll down to LTI 1.1. You'll need the information from this page to set up the integration:
- Log into Canvas with an admin account. Go to 'Admin' - 'Settings' - 'Apps' and use the '+App' button to enable ThingLink for all courses:
- Once you've added the app, it will appear in all courses in the course navigation menu on the left.
Alternatively, you can add the app to select courses via the course settings. Use the same configuration type, consumer key and shared secret.
How to set up the LTI 1.3 tool in Canvas
- Log in to your ThingLink account and go to the Organization page, then open the Integrations tab and scroll down to LTI 1.3 connections.
- Click the blue 'Add new' button to create a new connection.
- This will bring up a new form. Enter anything in the 'Connection name' field, then click the blue 'Add' button. You'll need to fill in the rest of the form later.
- Click the 'View details' button next to the connection you've created.
- Click the 'Select your LMS' menu and select Canvas. Copy the 'JSON configuration for Canvas' text:
- Go to Canvas and navigate to Admin > Developer keys. Click 'Developer Key' and add a new LTI Key.
- Set 'Key name' to what you want.
- Choose 'Paste JSON' under 'Method'.
- Paste the JSON configuration you've copied into the 'LTI 1.3 configuration' field.
- Click Save.
- You'll be redirected to the Developer Keys page. Toggle the LTI key you've created ON.
- Go back to ThingLink > LTI 1.3 page and scroll down to Platform-specific parameters. You'll need to paste the information from the Developer Key you've set up on Canvas here:
- Issuer / PlatformID: if you are using a licensed/cloud version of Canvas, enter https://canvas.instructure.com. If you are using a self-hosted version Of Canvas, enter the link you use to access Canvas.
- Client ID: go to Canvas and copy the number for the LTI key you've set from the Details column. Paste it as Client ID on ThingLink.
- Deployment ID: in Canvas, go to Admin > Settings > Apps > View App configurations > +App. Set Configuration Type to By Client ID and paste the Client ID for the LTI key you've set up. Click the cog icon next to the tool, then click Deployment ID, copy it and paste it into the Deployment ID field back on ThingLink.
- Platform keyset URL: https://canvas.instructure.com/api/lti/security/jwks
- Authentication request URL: https://canvas.instructure.com/api/lti/authorize_redirect
- Access token URL: https://canvas.instructure.com/login/oauth2/token
- Click Save.
The integration is now ready. You can test it by creating a new page/assignment for any course and trying to use the ThingLink app via the rich content editor as described below.
How to use the LTI 1.3 tool
When editing or creating a new post in your courses, you should see a small ThingLink icon within the rich content editor. To embed a ThingLink scene or scenario, do the following:
- Click the ThingLink icon. If the icon is not visible, click 'Apps' and select ThingLink from the dropdown menu.
- A new window with your content will be loaded. Click the 'LTI link' option in the top-left corner and select 'HTML link' instead.
- If you use LTI link, the app will paste a thumbnail image for your content and add a link to it. The learners will have to click the image to interact with it's interactive version in a new tab.
- If you use the HTML link, the app will embed your content and the learner will be able to interact with it directly in the post.
- Hover over the scene or scenario you'd like to insert and hit the 'Send' button.