ThingLink 360 images and videos can be viewed in VR mode. This article provides an overview of controls, limitations and certain specifics of creating and viewing ThingLink in VR:
Are you using ClassVR headsets? Please see this article to learn about our special integration.
What tag content works in VR?
- Audio recordings
- Text labels
- Tour transitions
- Uploaded videos will be supported starting March 2020.
General limitations for viewing rich media content in VR
Note that as VR functionality is still in active development. As a result, there are certain limitations that should be kept in mind when preparing content for VR:
- Scrolling is not supported for text & image tags
- If there are multiple images inside a text & media tag, only the first image will be shown.
- Clicking web links in image & text tags is not supported in VR mode.
- Tags with embedded content from the web (including embeds from ThingLink) are not supported
- Videos inside text & media tags and external videos (e.g. YouTube) are not supported.
- Text label tags may display fewer characters than they do in normal mode.
ThingLink VR mode is built using WebVR technology. As a result, ThingLink should be compatible with all 3 DoF and 6 DoF VR headsets that are compatible with WebVR technology. You can check whether your headset is compatible with WebVR at https://webvr.info or on the manufacturer’s website.
We’ve tested and confirmed ThingLink’s functionality on the following models:
- Oculus Go
- Oculus Quest
- Oculus Rift
- Samsung Gear VR
- HMD Odyssey (Windows Mixed Reality Headset)
- Google Cardboard with any modern Android or iOS smartphone
- ClassVR (Learn more in this article)
How to view ThingLink in VR
Opening ThingLink in VR:
- Copy the ThingLink scene URL
- Shorten it using https://bitly.com or any similar service
- Open default browser on the device (e.g. Oculus browser, Mixed Reality browser)
- Type in the shortened address in the address bar
- Click on the glasses shape icon on the bottom right to enter VR
Viewing without a controller:
- Move your head to change the view direction
- Look at a hotspot or UI element for 1.5 seconds to activate it. Your current point of view is indicated by a white dot in the middle of the screen.
Viewing with a controller:
- Move your head or use the stick to change the view direction
- Point your controller at a tag or UI element and click the trigger button to activate it
Please note that at the moment not all controllers may be supported.
- Point at the ‘Close tag’ button to close a tag
- Look down to show player menu
Note that you can share a link directly to the VR mode by copying the URL from the browser.
You can also preview VR experience from your computer. Use the white pointer to interact with tags and interface elements, click and drag the image to change your view direction.
Viewing ThingLink VR from your phone
While it is possible to view ThingLink VR from a phone, you would still need a headset similar to Google Cardboard.
If you are having trouble viewing VR from your phone, please make sure that you’ve enabled accelerometer for your iOS device (iOS 12.2-12.4) & WebVR for Android. Older devices may be unable to load VR mode due to lack of processing power.