Groups are collections of users within your class or organization. A user can belong to multiple different groups, and there are no limits to the number of groups you can create.
- How you can use groups
- How to create a group
- Managing your groups
- Add existing users to a group
- Special features for School accounts
How you can use groups
Groups can be used to:
- Keep track of your users. You can set up groups for different projects, classes, or departments within your organization.
- Share folders with groups. Whether you are using folders for collaboration or simply organizing your content, you can add groups to folders to avoid adding each user individually. See this article for more information about folders.
- Share scenarios with groups. You can set up groups for different groups of learners and then share scenarios with groups to avoid adding each user individually. See this page for more information about scenarios.
How to create a group
To create a group, go to Organization > Groups and click the blue 'Create group' button in the upper-right corner. Enter the name of the new group and click 'Create'.
You'll see the group appear in the Groups list.
Managing your groups
You can manage existing groups from the same page. Click the three dots icon to the right of the group name to access all available options:
'Rename' lets you change the name of the group.
Use 'Add users' to add new users to the group. You can learn more about different options here. Note that 'Import from CSV' and 'Manual creation' options will work only if the user does not have a ThingLink account yet. If you are looking to add existing users, use the group invite code, invite them by email or use the 'Manage members' menu instead.
'Manage members' menu allows you to manually add users who already have an account to the group. See the section below to learn more.
'Reset invite code' option allows you to change the invite code. This can be useful if the invite code was leaked to users who were not supposed to know it.
'Delete' allows you to delete the group. Note that this action cannot be undone. Deleting a group does not affect the group members.
'Notifications' menu lets you turn group notifications On or Off. If the notifications are On, all group members will receive an email notification when the group is added to a scenario. The setting is Off by default.
Click the name of the group to see the list of all users in the group:
Here, you can manage the users or remove them from the group using the three dots button > Remove from group.
Add existing users to groups
If the user you'd like to add to the group already has a ThingLink account, you can use the 'Manage members' menu to add them to the group.
- Click the three dots button next to the group name
- Select 'Manage members'
- In the new pop-up window, click the 'Choose users' field, type in the user's username or email address then select the user from the search results.
- Click 'Add users' to add the user to the group then click Done to save changes.
You can add users either as Members or as Group admins. If you add a user as a group admin, they will be able to manage the group (add or remove group members, rename the group, etc.). Note that students cannot manage groups.
Special features for School accounts
- Teachers have access to the Groups page and can set up their own groups.
- Teachers do not see groups created by other teachers. However, they'll see groups that they are part of.
Admin users can see all groups.
- Group membership also affects which accounts teachers will see on their Users tab. By default, teachers will only see users who are part of their groups.
Please sign in to leave a comment.