Groups are collections of users within your class or organization. A user can belong to multiple different groups, and there are no limits to the number of groups you can create.
How you can use groups
Groups can be used to:
- Keep track of your users. You can set up groups for different projects, classes, or departments within your organization.
- Share folders with groups. Whether you are using folders for collaboration or simply organizing your content, you can add groups to folders to avoid adding each user individually. See this article for more information about folders.
- Share scenarios with groups. You can set up groups for different groups of learners and then share scenarios with groups to avoid adding each user individually. See this page for more information about scenarios.
How to create a group
To create a group, go to Organization > Groups and click the blue 'Create group' button in the upper-right corner. Enter the name of the new group and click 'Create'.
You'll see the group appear in the Groups list.
Managing your groups
You can manage existing groups from the same page. Click the three dots icon to the right of the group name to access all available options:
'Rename' lets you change the name of the group.
Use 'Add users' to add users to the group. You can learn more about different options here. Note that 'Import from CSV' and 'Manual creation' options will work only if the user does not have a ThingLink account yet. If you are looking to add existing users, use the group invite code, invite them by email or use the 'Access rights' menu instead.
'Access rights' menu allows you to manually add users to the group. Click the 'Choose users' field, then type in the user's username or email address and click them. Click 'Add users' to add the user to the group then Click Done to save changes. You can add users as either normal users ('Private access') or give them Admin access to the group. Users with Admin access can manage the group.
'Reset invite code' option allows you to change the invite code. This can be useful if the invite code was leaked to users who were not supposed to know it.
'Delete' allows you to delete the group. Note that this action cannot be undone. Deleting a group does not affect the group members.
'Notifications' menu lets you turn group notifications On or Off. If the notifications are On, all group members will receive an email notification when the group is added to a scenario. The setting is Off by default.
Click the group name to see the list of all users in the group:
Here, you can manage the users or remove them from the group using the three dots button > Remove from group.
Special features for School accounts
- Teachers have access to the Groups page and can set up their own groups.
- Teachers do not see groups created by other teachers. However, they'll see groups that they are part of.
Admin users can see all groups.
- Group membership also affects which accounts teachers will see on their Users tab. By default, teachers will only see users who are part of their groups.