Sounds and narration bring your images to life. You can use audio to introduce the scene to your viewers or add sound notes or audio narration to each tag separately to highlight details.
On ThingLink, you can add audio to images in 4 different ways:
- Directly record audio in the edit mode (both desktop and mobile app)
- Upload pre-recorded audio to Text & Media tag
- Upload background audio to a scene from image Settings
- Upload specifications
- Embed third-party audio player using the Embed tag (e.g. SoundCloud)
Record audio directly from the editor
ThingLink editor comes with an option to directly record audio from the editor. Click the microphone icon to start recording, and again when you want to stop recording. Note that the audio recording is supported on Chrome, Edge, and Firefox. The feature does not work in Internet Explorer and requires additional action to work on Safari (please see below).
Upload pre-recorded audio to Text & Media tag
Text & Media tag has an option to upload an audio file that will play automatically when the tag is clicked. The audio does not loop but restarts each time the tag is opened. Adding audio to individual tags is a great way to highlight specific details or to build an interactive story experience. Note that the viewer cannot mute the audio without muting the whole page.
To add pre-recorded audio to a tag, click on the tag to edit it, then click the 'Upload audio' button and choose a file from your computer.
Upload background audio to a scene
You can add a background audio that will play when the ThingLink is being viewed. This will effectively convert the image into a single-scene video.
- In the editor, click the 'Settings' button on the left
- Click the 'Upload audio' button and select a file from your computer. Supported file formats: MP3 or M4A.
- Once you add a background audio to your image, it will function as a video. Please refer to the article about our video editor to learn how it differs from the image editor.
Note: opening a tag will pause the background audio.
The audio file must be either in MP3 or M4A format. The maximum file size is 25 MB.
Embed audio from third-party service
Certain websites like SoundCloud allow you to embed their music players into other websites. You can use such players by pasting the embed code from the site into the 'Embed code' tag in ThingLink. The music from such tags will play only when the user starts it from the tag and will stop once the tag is closed.
Enabling Audio Recording in Safari
To enable direct audio recording in Safari on iOS or iPadOS:
- Go to 'Settings'
- Select 'Safari'
- Scroll down and tap 'Advanced'
- Tap 'Experimental Features'
- Enable MediaRecorder
- Restart Safari - the microphone button for audio recording will appear
On macOS, select the 'Develop' tab, go to 'Experimental Features' and enable MediaRecorder:
Please sign in to leave a comment.