In this article, you'll learn how to upload 3D models and how you can tag them. Note that the 3D editor is different from ThingLink's standard video, image and 360° editor.
Click the links below to jump between different parts of this guide:
- Uploading a 3D model
- Tagging a 3D model
- Sharing 3D models
- Notes & known issues
- How to provide feedback
How to upload your 3D model
- Log into your ThingLink account
- Click the ‘Create’ button, then click ‘Upload’ and pick a file from your hard drive.
Note that you may encounter an error when uploading multiple models at once. If you do, please upload one model at a time.
File format: .glb
Max file size: 100 MB
Sample files you can use: click here.
Other file formats will be supported in the future. glTF is the next planned format. Feel free to specify your preferred format(s) in the feedback form.
How to tag the 3D model
Open the model, then click ‘Edit’ to start editing it. Click anywhere on the model to place a tag. Tags have to be placed directly on the model.
A simple menu will pop up:
- Click the tag container & type or paste your text to create a text label
- Click the ‘Check’ button to save the tag
- Click the trash bin icon to delete the tag
- Click the plus icon (‘+’) to add other types of content:
Types of content you can add to your model
‘Upload image’ allows you to pick an image from your hard drive & add it to the tag. You can add multiple images. The upload specifications are the same as for the main editor (25 MB file size limit, jpg/png/apng/GIF).
‘Upload video’ allows you to add a short video clip. The upload specifications are the same as for the main editor (25 MB file size limit, mp4 or m4a file format).
‘YouTube’ allows you to embed a YouTube video. Simply paste the video URL or the embed code then click ‘Save’.
‘Embed’ allows you to embed another web tool or a webpage. Click embed, paste the embed code or the page URL, then click ‘Save’:
‘Add link’ allows you to create a link button that will take the viewer to the URL if they click it. Click ‘Add link’, enter the link & specify the button text, then click ‘Save’.
‘Upload file’ allows you to upload a file to ThingLink. This will create a button that will download the file if the viewer clicks it:
This feature supports the following file formats: PDF, Word documents (.doc and .docx), Excel files, file archives (.zip and .rar).
‘Upload audio’ allows you to upload an audio file that the viewer can listen to.
All of these options can be used together. In other words, your tag can contain any combination of text, videos, images, embedded content and links.
Once you’ve added any content to your tag, click it to change its position, edit or delete.
- Use the trash bin icon to delete a block of content
- Use the pen icon to edit a block of content (e.g. change the embed code or change the text on the link button)
- Use the up & down arrows to reorder content:
Customizing icons & background color
Click the ‘Customize’ button in the upper-left. A new window will pop up:
'Icon' section allows you to choose between four different icon designs and a few color variations.
'Scene background' lets you pick one of 5 background colors.
- Select the text and use CTRL+B/CMD+B to create bold text
- Select the text and use CTRL+I/CMD+I to use italics
- Use CTRL+U/CMD+U to underline your text
- Use the mouse wheel to zoom in and out
- Left-click and drag to rotate your point of view
- Right-click and drag to move your point of view
Once you are done adding & editing tags, click the ‘Done’ button in the upper-right corner to close the editor.
Sharing 3D Models
You can share 3D Models just like you'd share other types of content - either via a link or by embedding the model into your website. Please see this article for more details.
Note that publishing 3D models requires a premium subscription (a School license, Premium Team or eLearning Premium plan).
Notes & known issues
There are a few differences between the 3D editor and ThingLink’s main editor. In no particular order:
- All tags use the same icon. It is impossible to select different icons for different tags.
- Custom icons are not supported yet.
- Background audio is not supported.
- If you are embedding or uploading a video, the viewer has to click the video to play it. It is impossible to autoplay the video.
- You need to exit the editor in order to interact with the tags as a viewer.
- 3D models aren’t as responsive as other types of content. This will be improved with future updates.
- You cannot create a tour tag leading from a 3D model to 2D/360 content. If you go from 2D/360 content to a 3D model, there’ll be a ‘Back’ button that allows the viewer to exit the 3D scene.
- 3D models cannot be downloaded for offline viewing.
How you can provide feedback
We’d really appreciate your feedback as well as any suggestions on what you’d like to see added in the future. Please use this form if you'd like to provide feedback.
If you have any questions about the 3D editor, submit a request here.