You can now add floor plans to your tours to make them easier to navigate. The floor plan is displayed in the upper-right corner, helping your viewer understand where they are and move between the scenes. Check out the example below:
Note how the floor plan appears only once you enter the cottage.
How to add a floor plan
- Floor plans are separate ThingLink scenes, so the first step is to upload the floor plan image to ThingLink.
- Once the floor plan has been uploaded, start editing the floor plan image and add tour tags that lead from the floor plan to the corresponding locations.
- Copy the scene ID once you've added all tour tags. The scene ID is the numeric part of the URL you see when you are editing or sharing the image. For example, if the URL of your scene is https://www.thinglink.com/scene/1205257932048957445, then the scene ID is 1205257932048957445.
- Edit the first scene of your tour and go to Settings, scroll down and select 'Floor plan', then paste the scene ID from step #3:
Click 'Done' and the radar in the upper-right corner should be replaced with the floor plan.
You can update the floor plan scene after you've added it to your tour. You do not need to update the floor plan scene ID.
How the floor plan is displayed
The floor plan will appear in the scene only if there's a tour tag leading from the floor plan to the scene. In other words, if there's no connection between the room on the plan and the room you are viewing, the plan will not be displayed. If you move to a room that's connected to the floor plan, the plan will appear again.
Adding multiple floor plans
If the tour depicts a space that has multiple floors or if a single floor plan is simply not enough, you can include multiple floor plans. Simply enter multiple scene IDs separated by a comma:
Do not add floor plans to individual scenes in your tour. ThingLink will only display the plan(s) you've added to the starting scene.
- Make sure to select the appropriate privacy setting for your floor plan scene. If the plan scene is not available to the viewer, it will be replaced with a radar instead.
- The floor plan has a fixed max size - 200x200 pixels on desktop and 100x100 pixels on mobile or when embedded outside of ThingLink.
- If you have too many icons too close to each other on the minimap, consider splitting the plan into multiple pieces or removing some tour tags from the floor plan scene.
- It is not possible to change the color or the design of the floor plan icons.
- The size of the floor plan icons is fixed and cannot be customized.
- The floor plan will display only tour tags when viewed as a minimap. If viewed in full screen (i.e. if the user clicks the 'Expand' button on the minimap), the floor plan will display all other tag types.
- Floor plans will not be displayed in VR.
- Floors plans will not be displayed in the accessibility player.
How do I create a floor plan image?
ThingLink cannot generate a floor plan for you, but there are many specialized editors available online.
What is the recommended size for the floor plan image?
The recommended size is at least 1000x1000 pixels with a solid background.